The Top 10 Movies from Mexico is a selection of the most voted movies from IMDB. Is your favourite Mexican movie on the list?
- El laberinto del fauno (2006)
- Amores perros (2000)
- Y tu mamá también (2001)
- El mariachi (1992)
- Bandidas (2006)
- El ángel exterminador (1962)
- Sin Nombre (2009)
- Como agua para chocolate (1992)
- La montaña sagrada (1973)
- El crimen del padre Amaro (2002)
How we built the list
The initial list was created by searching Mexico as Country of Origin and Spanish language (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?countries=mx&languages=es&sort=num_votes). Then, we had to refine the list as many movies are coproduced between countries or directors and actors are mostly from other nationalities.
The criteria used to determine the “nationality” of a movie are:
- Country of origin (production).
- Language (in this case Spanish).
- Nationality of the director and majority of the cast.
Some movies are still difficult to classify. That is the case of Pan’s Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno) (2006): coproduction between Mexico, Spain and the United States; directed by Guillermo del Toro (Mexico); main roles played by Ivana Baquero (Spain), Sergi López (Spain) and Maribel Verdú (Spain). Although Pan’s Labyrinth story is based in the fascist Spain of 1944 and most of the cast is Spanish, it is often recognised as a Mexican movie.